This PowerPack extends the PowerGUI admin console with nodes and actions that facilitate managing an org chart within the admin console and generating an org chart document in Visio based on organization information in Active Directory.
PowerGUI 22.214.171.1242 or later
Quest AD cmdlets
Visio 2003 or later if you want to generate an org chart in a Visio document
• Build an org chart based on data in Active Directory
• Automatically retrieve org chart data across multiple Active Directory domains
• Configure the retrieval so that it retrieves it from the directory service you want using the credentials you specify
• Specify additional Active Directory attributes that you want to retrieve for all employees
• Specify the index attribute to use for all employees (e.g. employeeId, samAccountName, Name, etc.) so that you can avoid duplicate indices
• Optionally configure the Org Chart builder to retrieve disabled users
• Identify certain OUs that you want to exclude from the org chart data retrieval
• Mark certain employees as favorites so that you can have one or more org chart subtrees that you access more quickly
• Modify employee properties like title, department, office, address and phone number
• Re-assign employees to other managers
• Generate reports based on direct reports for any individual or the entire organization, with data grouped by title, department, office, and more so that you can see the big picture across your entire organization or within one subtree and analyze that data
• Generate Visio org charts for any section of the org chart that you select
Getting started with the Org Chart PowerPack
How to install:
1. Download and install the Quest AD cmdlets.
2. Download the OrgChart.powerpack file that is attached to this article.
3. Open the PowerGUI admin console.
4. Select File | PowerPack Management to open the PowerPack Management dialog.
5. Click on the Import button to import the PowerPack.
6. Using the dialog that just opened, browse to the location where you downloaded the OrgChart.powerpack file and select that file. Click on the Open button to import the Org Chart PowerPack into PowerGUI.
6. At this point the PowerPack is imported and you will have an "Org Chart" node in the Admin Console. Continue reading the Getting Started section if you want to know how to get started using this PowerPack.
How to upgrade:
1. Open the PowerGUI admin console.
2. Select File | PowerPack Management to open the PowerPack Management dialog.
3. Select the Org Chart PowerPack and click on Check for Updates. Then follow the prompts to upgrade your PowerPack.
4. At this point the PowerPack is upgraded and you will have an "Org Chart" node in the Admin Console. Continue reading the Getting Started section if you want to know how to get started using this PowerPack.
A picture is worth 1000 words: Getting started with the Org Chart PowerPack
October 30, 2009
126.96.36.199 - Added multi-domain support, allowing Org Charts to be built that span multiple AD domains. Changed default such that disabled users are only gathered if you specify you want them gathered. Added support to allow users to choose the index attribute. Added support to allow users to gather any additional attributes they want (and these will be included in the Visio export). Changed the favorites handler so that you don't have to retrieve all favorites at once anymore. Moved all actions into custom categories. Updated Write-Progress support using a weighted branch algorithm to give the most accurate depiction possible of the Org Chart gathering progress (this feature requires PowerGUI 1.9.5 or later).
June 26, 2009
188.8.131.52 - Initial release.